Request for Proposals
The Applied Malaria Modeling Network (AMMnet) would like to encourage the growth of regional AMMnet chapters and is looking to support small regional in-person AMMnet events such as meetings, conferences, or workshops.
AMMnet’s Mission: AMMnet is a community of malaria modelers, data analysts, and partners who develop, apply and use quantitative tools to inform decision-making and operations in malaria-endemic countries. AMMnet fosters an open and respectful collaborative forum for learning and knowledge-sharing with the goal of improving the quality of analytical support offered to malaria programs and advancing general malaria research.
AMMnet will fund up to 10 regional events annually, each with a budget range of $500 to $3,000, which must be expended within 12 months of the awarded date. Note: If your institution will collect a percentage of the award for facilities & administrative costs, you must account for this in your budget.
Proposals must meet the following 5 criteria:
- Be led by one or more AMMnet members based in a malaria-endemic country
- Involve at least 10 participants, including the organizer(s)
- Involve participants from multiple institutions or organizations
- Include a measurement of effectiveness in reaching objectives outlined in the proposal (for example: participant survey, attendance registers, photos)
- Target at least two of the following possible event objectives:
- Create and strengthen community among local malaria modelers, analysts, and partners
- Share proposed work, work in progress, exchange knowledge and scientific ideas, and build collaborations – with a malaria modelling component
- Strengthen technical and/or communication skills in the modeling community, especially in junior researchers
- Build or strengthen partnerships between malaria modelers and NMCPs
- Generate interest in malaria modeling
Event activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Scientific talks and/or poster presentations
- Panel discussions and/or question & answer sessions with experts
- Hands-on technical workshops or hackathons
- Small-group manuscript or grant proposal feedback discussions
- Career panels and other career development activities
- Facilitated group discussions on technical topics or developing plans for future regional AMMnet activities
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application for regional AMMnet event funding”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with target turnaround time of 2 weeks. Applications may be in English, French, or Portuguese.
Format and Inclusions
- Cover page with the following information:
- Your name
- Organization or academic affiliation
- Address where you are based
- Include biosketch (CV or resume) for event organizers
- No more than two pages long
- Follow proposal instructions below
Proposal instructions, up to 2 pages
- Introductory information:
- A short description of the event you propose to hold, including location, date, duration, number of participants, and targeted audience
- A clear statement of the objectives your event will achieve and how they advance AMMnet’s mission
- Event information:
- Detailed schedule of activities you plan to hold as part of your event and how they achieve your objectives
- Measure of effectiveness: Describe how you will demonstrate your event has achieved its objectives (for example: participant surveys, attendance numbers, and/or photos)
- Budget table: Include a table of costs under the following categories (not all categories may be needed):
- Other Expenses (per diems, etc., if needed)
- Budget narrative: Explain the major cost drivers and how costs relate to planned activities and target objectives
Awarded proposals are expected to hold their event within 12 months of the award date. Within 1 month after the event, organizers are expected to share via email to email@example.com a 1-page report on their event, including the results of their measure of effectiveness. Organizers will be expected to coordinate with the AMMnet secretariat via firstname.lastname@example.org to share the event proceedings as pictures on designated AMMNet social media platforms.
Organizers may apply more than once to this request for proposals, although priority will be given to those who have not yet received funding.
Please direct all questions about this grant, selection criteria, or application instructions by e-mail to email@example.com.
AMMnet is supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.